My 7 year old uses Village on an old iPhone 5 that has been retire for a few years. It's fun for her because it feels like 'her phone.' Talk about a win-win.
Here's what I did
- Charge the device if it's been a while
- Factory reset the device to remove all the old apps and pictures
- Setup a new Apple ID with a new icloud email address that only I have access to
- Set parental controls. The only one I cared about is requiring parental permission to download apps (it's always monitored usage)
- Download Village from the app store
- Create a Village account and start messaging!
Now she's able to connect with all her family and a few friends who are on Village. No more asking me to message so-and-so or to use my phone. Talk about empowerment!